What you need to know after having your Vasectomy....
- It is recommened that you rest for the first 2 days.
- Make sure you wear tight underpants immediately after the procedure.
- Use an ice pack initially to help reduce bruising and for pain relief. Report to the doctor immediately if you notice any severe pain, excessive skin or scrotal bruising,swelling or hardness under the skin.
- No heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 2 weeks after the surgery and no swimming (pools or ocean) for 3 weeks.
- You cannot shower after having the procedure. You can shower the next day.
- It is recommended to not have sex for 2 weeks following the procedure.
- Patients will be given pathology forms for semen analysis (sperm tests) to be performed 3 months after the procedure. Call the clinic 7 days after you submit your specimen for results. It is your own responsibility to remember to do so. Use alternative contraception until this has been achieved.
Common Post Operative Questions:
We advise first semen analysis done at least three months post operatively to confirm the procedure had been effective. Please do not submit specimen until it has been at least 3 months and 30 ejaculations since your operation.
Pathology forms will be given on the day of vasectomy. After collection of specimen, please submit to the appropriate pathology centre and call us for results after 7 days. Confirmation of results with Dr Wong is essential.
Please allow 1 week before calling the clinic for results. Semen collection fees may be required by individual laboratory.